We apologize for the mishandling of your baggage and understand that this will be inconvenient for you. Please be assured that we will do all possible to assist you through this experience.
- Delayed, lost, and damaged baggage should be reported to Air Cairo representative at the airport of your destination immediately after the arrival of your flight and before leaving the baggage claim area to secure a file reference number.
- Air Cairo and its agents handle all baggage with diligent care. Nevertheless, damage might happen under certain circumstances. If you believe Air Cairo has damaged your checked baggage, please review this page to see how to report your claim.
- Make sure to label all your baggage items (including hand baggage) with your name, home address and holiday address.
- Put important documents, valuables, and medication in your hand baggage.
- According to the standards of the Montreal Convention we will reimburse up to SDR 1,131.00 in the event of destruction or loss of or damage to baggage.
- Checked baggage is covered by strict liability, provided the baggage was not already damaged prior to check-in. We are only liable for non-checked baggage if we are at fault.
- If the value of your baggage exceeds the amount stated above, you are required to inform us when you check in or make sure that your baggage is fully insured before you travel.
- Our liability for checked baggage begins when we accept the baggage and ends when we return the baggage to the traveler.
- However, airlines are not liable for hand baggage, valuables such as jewelry, banknotes, business papers, samples, passports, medication, or fragile or perishable items. These items should therefore remain in the care of the passengers.
We recommend taking out an additional traveler’s baggage insurance policy.
Complaints Relating to Baggage
For baggage that is damaged, delayed, lost, or destroyed, please report your missing baggage at the airport. Air Cairo will respond on the passenger within 7 days in the case of damage to the checked baggage and within 21 days in the case of delay. These timeframes are from the date on which the baggage was placed at the passenger’s disposal. If a complaint is not filed within the time mentioned above, the carrier will not be liable.
As a general rule, baggage which qualifies for compensation will be subject to repair or replacement. However, Air Cairo will assess the degree, time factors and the depreciation rates of baggage, A Different Handling Other than Repair may be Offered.
However, Air Cairo will not be liable for the destruction, loss or damage of any baggage caused by:
- Defects in the material of baggage itself or aging after use
- Minor dents, cuts, scratches, scuffs, dents, dirt, and stains.
- Protruding parts such as cover/straps/hooks/belts & lock.
- Damage due to over-packing or inadequate packing of baggage.
- Damage or pilferage resulting from random search of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) or other safety inspections of each country.
- If your baggage is damaged, please immediately contact the “lost and found” department at the airport upon arrival. A Property Irregularity Report (PIR) will be created there.
- You will be provided with the required forms and information directly at the airport when you report the damage. With these forms, you can make arrangements with our customer service to have your baggage item picked up free of charge.
- If you discover the damage only on your return home, or where luggage is delivered late, the online notification must be made without delay, together with evidence of the flight, and received at our customer service within 7 days of your arrival.
To report damaged baggage, please complete the damaged baggage form.
Loss of Baggage Contents
Are contents of your baggage missing?
- The loss of baggage contents must be reported immediately, but no later than within 7 days, to the Customer Service Department. To report the loss, please complete the following form:
- If contents of your checked baggage are missing, we must receive a written notification immediately, but no later than within 7 days or in the case of delayed baggage, no later than within 21 days, after the baggage has been returned to you. To report lost contents or damaged baggage, please complete the damaged baggage form:
- Missing items will be reimbursed within the limit of the legal maximum liability, after verification. However, we do not assume liability for valuables as well as jewelry, camera equipment, electronic devices, documents, ormedications.